New and updated
Eating seasonally means your being kinder to yourself and the planet
Spinach is known for being vitamin rich and full of fibre plus, it’s super versatile. This is why we are super happy that Spinach is currently in season. Spinach is available in supermarkets all year round, but their harvesting season in the UK falls between March and July. Having said that, spinach can be harvested in the UK all year round if they are grown in the right conditions. This is why we recommend checking to see where all produce is grown before purchasing.
The UK only produces 60% of the food that the country consumes, which means that a lot of food gets imported from around the globe. However, spinach is a crop that does flourish well in the UK, particularly during Spring and early Summer; thus, buying spinach that has been imported will only increase your own carbon footprint. A large quantity of the spinach is imported from Spain, Italy & France to the UK; but try to look out for UK grown spinach, as everyone knows that the fresher the produce, the better it tastes!
- Lowers your carbon footprint
- Reduces your chances of eating chemicals – including preservatives
- Supports your local farmers & community
- Tastes better!
Spinach is super versatile, but we’ve stripped it back to basics for this one.
- Give your spinach a good wash.
- Toss into a large bowl with rocket, watercress and chard.
- Chop some apples into cubes and add it to the bowl.
- Mix in some butterbeans.
- Pour over some red wine vinegar, a good amount of olive oil and seasonings of your choice.
- Give it a good mix to ensure everything is coated.
- & voila, a super simple but tasty spinach salad.
We have more information on what to eat this season coming up! To find out more about eating seasonally, make sure you check out our hotel interviews!